Sigenu, K (2007), Cradock case study. Unpublished report, Centre for Development Studies, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein.
The history of Cradock dates back to the beginning of the 19th century, when British troops were stationed in the Great Fish River area to ensure peace on the country’s Eastern Frontier.
A fort was built in the vicinity of Cradock in 1812 and Andries Stockenstrom was ordered to establish a deputy-drostdy. This resulted in the founding and eventual proclamation of Cradock as a town on 21 January 1814. The town was named after Sir John Cradock, the then governor of the Cape. A series of forts was built along the lower Fish River and all the way up to Cradock to try and contain the Xhosa people to the East of the Fish River that had been proclaimed the boundary by the Government of the Cape.