Graaff Reinet had a rifle corps, established when a Burgher Law was passed because of rumours of another war were rife. John H Roselt placed an advertisement in the Graaff-Reinet Herald early in February 1856, stating that a meeting would be held in the Court Room at 19h30 on February 21 for the purpose of establishing a corps. This was a successful and well-attended event, and it was decided to name it Graaff-Reinet Mounted Rifle Corps. Mr Heugh would fulfilled the office of Captain of the Corps as well as Captain of the Burghers. A full meeting took place at P Caro’s offices on March 9, and H Benjamin was voted into the chair. Regulations were presented and approved and officers elected. They included Comdt. Anthony Berrange, Capt. John Heugh, Lt. and Adj. William Henry Addison; Lt. John Henry Roselt and Quartermaster Edward Nathan. On June 28 1856, Lt Addison called for tenders for uniforms and these were delivered by February 10, 1857. Cornet Chris van Blommenstein was commissioned on February 25. By September 9 that year, the strength of the corps was 55. The Corps mustered on the Queen’s Birthday “to receive presentation of their colours which had been elegantly designed and worked by the ladies”.
© Rose’s Roundup, May 2011 (No 208)
To subscribe to Rose’s Roundup, contact Rose Willis at: email@example.com